24 Feb 2012 @ 6:09 PM 

Well, this was a little crazy. I had TFS installed with SharePoint on the same VM, and all was well until the VMs were moved to a new host. I’m not sure what the cause was – perhaps the change in IP – but I had to reinstall the extensions for SharePoint 2010. Problem is, THERE IS NO SEPARATE INSTALL! :( In fact, my online research reviled something I forgot – it’s installed with the TFS installer when you check off a box at some point. One article I found touched on the location for the logs, and as it turns out, the logs have the EXACT command line that was required to install what I needed! Perfect. This was the log section (found in “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Server Configuration\Logs” on Server 2008 x64):

[Info @23:26:00.960] Deploying solution: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.SharePoint.wsp.
[Info @23:26:00.960] Process starting: fileName=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\bin\stsadm.exe arguments=-o deploysolution -name Microsoft.TeamFoundation.SharePoint.wsp -local -force
[Info @23:26:06.171] Process finished: fileName=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\bin\stsadm.exe arguments=-o deploysolution -name Microsoft.TeamFoundation.SharePoint.wsp -local -force exitCode=0 in 5225 ms
[Info @23:26:06.171]
[Info @23:26:06.171] Operation completed successfully.

I think this log was from an old installation where the extensions were installed separately, not really sure, because the “\12\” part of the path in the log didn’t exist, but “\14\” did, and in the newer logs, the section above didn’t exist, and instead I had this message: “The solution has no features to activate.”  The “Microsoft.TeamFoundation.SharePoint.wsp” didn’t seem to be installed at all (event though it was working!!!). With that, I ran this:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN>stsadm.exe -o deploysolution -name Microsoft.TeamFoundation.SharePoint.wsp -local -force

Bingo! The command ran, completed, and my service was back online!!! :)

Ok, now that the service is back online, I noticed two other things missing as well after reading this site: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/teams_wit_tools/archive/2009/11/24/tfs-2010-beta2-troubleshooting-sharepoint-configuration-issues-tf249038.aspx

The Dashboard and TSWA .wsp installs were missing also! Fortunately this is also a “simple” fix (simple of course once you figure out how to do it ;) ).

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN>stsadm.exe -o deploysolution -name Microsoft.TeamFoundation.SharePoint.wsp -local -force
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN>stsadm.exe -o deploysolution -name tswawebpartcollection.wsp -local -force -url http://localhost

That did it! :) Pay special attention to the second line – your URL/Port for your virtual server may be different.

That’s it, have fun! :)

Share
Posted By: James
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2012 @ 02:04 PM

EmailPermalink
Tags